Student Surgical Society - Programs
Trauma and Emergency Experience for MS1 and MS2
Thank you for interest in the Trauma and Emergency Surgery Experience. The goal of the elective is to introduce you to the clinical setting on the Trauma and Emergency Surgery service. There are a number of objectives outlined below that we hope you will achieve during your time spent with us.
- Observe a trauma resuscitation
- Observe a history and physical examination performed by member of trauma team (student/intern/resident)
- Observe a surgery done by the trauma service
- Observe procedures done in the ER
- Washout and closure of laceration
- Drainage of abscess
- Removal of foreign body
- Central line placement
- ED thoracotomy
- Fracture reduction
- And many more
- Observe a review of imaging study done by trauma team and correlating it to presenting complaint
A few guidelines must be followed if you are going to take part in this elective:
- Come dressed in scrubs and comfortable shoes.
- Wear your UTHSCSA badge at all times.
- If you are signed up for a shift, please show up for the shift unless an emergency comes up.
Please only sign up for a shift if you are actually going to show up. If not, remove yourself from the list to accommodate other students.
- On arrival to the emergency room, ask for the trauma pit boss and introduce yourself as a second year medical student taking part in the elective.
- These are real patients with real medical problems – professionalism and adherence to patient confidentiality are expected at all times.
Patrick Nguyen, MD – Email
Ross Willis, PhD – Email
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNUP:
- Go to the Event Signup Manager at https://surglearning.uthscsa.edu/eventsignup/login.asp
- Enter your UTHSCSA username (just the part before the @ sign in your email address).
- Enter your password (the password that is associated with Blackboard – NOT your Livemail password).
- Enter the registration code 'traumaexperience'.
- Click the Submit button.
- Browse the available dates/times and click the 'Available' link for the timeslot you would like.